Penilaian Menengah Rendah
From ReCom Wiki
Penilaian Menengah Rendah (PMR) is a Malaysian public examination taken by Form 3 students. It was formerly known as Lower Certificate of Education (LCE) and Sijil Rendah Pelajaran (SRP). The subjects in this exam include:
Mandatory/Core Subjects are:
- Bahasa Malaysia or the Malay Language
- Living Skills
- Islamic Studies (mandatory for Muslim students, optional for others)
For Living Skills, the subject is categorized into 4 elective groups where students can choose any one. Then there is the mandatory section where students must take engineering drawing, technology, invention, domestic piping, electronics, electrical engineering, weather, aviation, home decor and safety, tailoring, horticulture and gardening, telecommunication, cooking, consumerism, and signs. The 4 elective groups are:
- Choice 1: Technical Skills (such as engine, electromechanics, motor and technical drawing)
- Choice 2: Home Economics (such as sewing, baking, catering and fashion)
- Choice 3: Agricultural Science (such as landscape, pets, gardening and plantation)
- Choice 4: Business and Entrepreneurship (such as marketing, entrepreneurship, accounting and basic economics)
Optional subjects are:
- Arabic Language
- Chinese Language
- Tamil Language
- Punjabi Language
- Iban Language
- Kadazandusun Language (From 2009)
Students are required to take at least 7 core subjects to a maximum of 9.
The results is released in late December every year to all candidates through schools. The grades possible are from A (best) to E, or T for non-attendance (Tidak hadir).
Based on the results and individual interest, students will be streamed into Science, Arts, IT, or vocational streams for the following 2 years in the higher secondary education level. The government aims for a ratio of 60 Science to 40 Arts students.