Originally Posted by IAmYourNightmare
Hi, when you apply to the US, there is no need to actually tell the university what course you want to take. Hence, many apply as "Undeclared", you only declare your major after your first year of undergraduate studies. BTW, he is doing a double major in Physics and Mathematics.
I know him too.
For last year's case, the most probable explanation is that they have already given out a few scholarships to those 'early comers'. Because the decision of most of the US universities come later than Australia ones, those who obtain offer from Australian universities were given the scholarships.
My advice for those who wish to apply for this scholarship is as below:
1) Get an unconditional offer from a top university. top 20, should be ok as a good measure.
2) Do it ASAP to avoid losing the seats
3) 9As in SPM ( litthewheatgrass had only gotten 2As in SPM and still secure this scholarship, but the criterion which were set out 3 years back was 9As in SPM. She may have secured it, but it doesn't mean others would have the same luck)
4) Fulfill requirements for SAT/IELTS/TOEFL( This may sound weird for some, but even JPA scholars have to fulfill some SAT requirement. No difference for those who want to apply for this scholarship)
5) Documents prepared and certified
6) Surat Permohonan
7) Get a (appropriate) politician to pull you up ( I hate taking in politician in any discussion, but in this world/ Malaysia, specifically, it's not what you know but who you know eventually)
Wear decently, and speak decently.
Of course this is not meant to be applied to everyone. I have not applied for this scholarship and i am not a scholar under this program as well. Take it as a pinch of salt.
PS: and make sure the pre-u results is good